Top Social

Bangkok Part 1

Sunday, August 01, 2010
Day 1
So... 5 nights after returning from Europe I packed a new suitcase and left for Bangkok! We were taking Tiger Airways which meant we were leaving from Budget Terminal and sadly missed out on DFS shopping at Changi's normal terminals. The Budget Terminal has some shops and food stalls too but it's quite limited (like one McDonald's and er 2 stalls). But hey! It gets you to Bangkok right?

Photobucket
Hahahaha I coloured one! Damn excited to try!

Photobucket
Darrell and Sarah.

Photobucket
Wah I got damn little sleep before our flight ):
Anyway we played Bridge throughout our going and return flights haha. I love playing Bridge! Bridge > Daidi.

Photobucket
Such an unglam photo but so cute! <3

Photobucket
The Bangkok airport actually looks pretty good!

Photobucket
Waiting for Alaric's dad's driver to pick us uppppp.


Photobucket

So after dropping off our stuff at the hotel (Citadines Bangkok), we went to Emporium for lunch. Lame but for our first meal in Bangkok... we ate ramen. Or rather they ate ramen and I had katsu curry rice because I don't like ramen (but udon is fine).

Anyway there was nothing much to buy in Emporium because it's kinda like... Paragon here. Basically it had one big departmental store and luxury shops so it was kinda dead and Singapore has all the same stalls too. Mega bored so I wound up watching a video of an electronic hamster (it's called a Zhu Zhu pet) -_- That stupid thing can even "run" through tunnels and on the hamster wheel. Might as well get a real hamster right?!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Trying some light filter thing in the departmental store. It's basically just a transparent and coloured plastic you put in front of the camera. Wasn't expensive but seems pretty useless.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Went to Suan Lum Night Market before dinner! There isn't very much to do in Bangkok after 7pm (besides clubs/bars) because shops close early. The night market is open from 7pm to 11pm so basically we were there for 3 nights in total haha.
Anyway stuff there isn't very cheap (by Bangkok standards) because it's full of budding Bangkok designers and it's very touristy. However the shop/stall fronts are very pretty and the clothes are more unique I guess!

Photobucket
Laser light thingys.

Photobucket
Haha TONS and TONS of fake Tiffany & Co!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Finally bought fairy lights for my room although I didn't find the kind I was looking for.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Dinner after that at a Thai restaurant along the river. Once again not that cheap by Bangkok standards, our meal came to a total of S$60 but we did order quite a bit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
My birthday cake that night (12am on the 25th)! Haha I actually really didn't expect it. After dinner we went back to the hotel and washed up etc and went over to Darrell's room. I kept banging on the door asking what was taking them so long to open up and when they finally did it was them holding a cake! (:

Photobucket
And my birthday present from Alaric! I thought it was pretty funny because just like 3 hours before we had seen so many fake Tiff&Co bracelets (he tried joking that he had bought it at the market just now haha). I kept asking what he would do if I had bought the fake version of the exact same bracelet he was going to give me.

Photobucket

Day 2
The following day was Sunday so after lunch (Thai again) we went to this little dessert place and then the famous Chatuchak! Chatuchak is the largest market with over 10 000 stalls split into different sections and it's only open on weekends from morning till about 6pm.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
-_-



Photobucket

Photobucket
Their MRT station and trains itself actually look a lot like Singapore's. And in fact Bangkok's MRT is WAY BETTER than the metros in Europe! Sounds prejudiced but yeah I was pleasantly surprised.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
o.O

Photobucket
Bangkok markets have crazy a lot of stuff for home furnishing! But obviously all very resort/tribal/ethnic themed. I would so go there to buy furniture once I have my own place. My little daughter will get a pretty rocking horse (:

Photobucket
Intense metalwork that got the two boys excited.

Photobucket
I didn't buy super super a lot at Chatuchak because the layout was just such a nightmare. You will seriously sweat and feel insanely grimy inside. Bought more than at the Night Market, but overall think I bought the most at Union Mall, followed by Platinum Mall then Chatuchak and lastly the Suan Lum Night Market.

Photobucket
And here's Alaric finishing his push-ups in the hotel room -_- hahaha.

From Chatuchak we took a cab back to the hotel. It's quite hard to find a cab driver willing to go by the meter. Without the meter they quote you prices like 300 Baht whereas the actual distance by meter is actually only 100 Baht. The meter in Bangkok jumps really really slowly.

Back at the hotel we showered and got ready for dinner, which was at this Italian restaurant because I like pasta (: A lot more photos for that so I'll blog those next time.

On another note Alaric just bought Starcraft 2 (if you read the newspaper you would know grown 23 year old men cried upon buying their copy) so that means we did nothing Friday and Saturday... And I've also heard "my life for Aiur!" so many times in the last 48 hours.

And okay I'm 20 years old now and I feel no different from when I was 19. It's weird but I wonder why birthdays mean less and less as we get older. I mean it's not like our 20th year is going to be any more meaningless just because we've already lived 19 years. Last year I didn't really get to celebrate my birthday because of certain... circumstances... Don't know why this year I wasn't excited at all. It's quite a shame.

Off to play Sims3! (My new boyfriend). Bye!
11 comments on "Bangkok Part 1"
  1. Anonymous12:23 AM

    Hi sophie! What eyeliner do you use? Does it smudge easily?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried Black Menthol in Singapore! I think its really new here! Seems like Bangkok is a really fun place and omg im hungry from looking at the photos :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:38 PM

    is sarah the same sarah you did an advert afew blogpost back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:49 PM

    how do you ask the taxi drivers to charge by the meter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous: Haha I specifically use a non-smudge eyeliner, it's called Maybelline Unstoppable. If you want a smudging one (for blending or something) you can use Revlon's Luxurious Colour in Black Velvet. I have both haha but I almost never use the Revlon.

    Sylvia: So they have Black Menthol here alr? Haha I didn't really like the Thai salads.

    Anonymous: Nope different Sarah. I don't know the Sarah that modelled for the shop.

    Anonymous: Haha just say "meter" lor. You have to make sure you establish this before starting the ride. You can see him turning on the meter, it starts at 35 Baht. If he doesn't, tell him you're getting out of the cab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:13 PM

    you smoke?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:54 PM

    I didnt know you smoked! Are you a social smoker then?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:33 PM

    quite dissapointed to see a ciggie in ur hand. :( been reading ur blog since ur sec 4 days u seem different than most high profile girls. oh well it's ur life and im
    just a reader.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was it really advisable to wear a mid-drift baring top in Bangkok?? Did you get a lot of stares from men?? Was Alaric very protective of you that day of cos of your outfit? My bf would be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:59 AM

    babe! ur bf is so sweet! how much did the tiff & co bracelet cost?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:41 AM

    hi!! which shopping centre is the cafe at?? :D

    ReplyDelete