Top Social

Bangkok Part 2

Tuesday, August 03, 2010
So I was just looking at some keywords people searched that eventually led them to my blog... and it's amazing how badly people can screw up my surname:
- sophie wiiloqc
- sophie wilcoq
- sophie willcoq
I don't even see how sophie wiiloqc could possibly lead to my blog but whatever.

Anyway so here's about the rest of my Bangkok trip! It starts from after we left Chatuchak on the second day. We went back to the hotel and got changed for dinner.
P.S. Some photos are from Darrell's DSLR. The low quality ones are his haha cause I took them from Facebook. Don't assume that good photos/nice effects must necessarily mean they are from the DSLR and not my camera!

Photobucket
My laptop became the most sought-after commodity in Bangkok. Darrell and Sarah would come over to use it (Facebook withdrawal).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I had ravioli and Alaric had risotto (on my right). Darrell and Sarah had normal pasta.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Bubble blower that Alaric bought for me at Chatuchak! Wheeeeeee.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After dinner we decided to try this club called Bed Supperclub, which is basically the Thai version of Supperclub here. The concept seemed pretty much the same, but the decor and music was way better! Cover was pricey though ): apparently we came on a day they were having an event so it was 700 baht for cover (S$29) which is really quite expensive, especially in Bangkok. I mean I can't imagine many locals paying 700 baht for cover.

Photobucket
The bouncers were really pretty strict, they checked all our IDs. Turns out the minimum age was 20 so it was really lucky that my birthday was just over haha.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
My "famous" white armpits...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
This would be nice photo if not for the dude on the right. CROP.

Photobucket
Bed Supperclub was a standalone building shaped like a barrel! In contrast Singapore's one is boringly inside Odeon Towers.

Photobucket
That was the event that made entry so costly...

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hahahaha looks intentional/staged but it was not.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Took a tuk tuk back!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Day 3
We went to the magical Platinum Mall, which is like Far East Plaza but cheaper! Also, they mostly sell wholesale. Meaning that a lot of blogshop owners and other clothes shops (Bangkok and Singapore) get their stock from there. For normal shoppers like us, buying one piece isn't very cheap. You have to buy 2 pieces then they'll lower the total (making it "wholesale").
Hardly took any photos because we were so busy shopping!

Photobucket
Eh I seriously wanted one. The Singapore Zoo sells them for like $25? Here it was $10, which I still find quite stupid for a retarded hat I'll only wear in winter overseas.

We came out of Platinum Mall when shops began closing (around 7pm) and it was absolutely pouring. This meant cab drivers began quoting exorbitant prices and you can't find a single one that will take you for a reasonable quote, much less by meter (because by meter it's even cheaper than reasonable hahaha).

Going to Platinum Mall had only cost us 70+ baht on meter, but with the rain drivers were quoting us 400 baht? Finally we settled for a tuk tuk (that was smart enough to have plastic shields on the sides) for 200 baht, which is still wayyyy overpriced. But quite an interesting experience haha.

Photobucket
Totally drenched.

Photobucket
Roads flooded!

Photobucket
Went to Suan Lum Night Market again (2nd visit) haha.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Went to the 24-hour supermarket beside the hotel and couldn't resist buying these cherries. This stupid tub was priced at 300 baht (S$13) which is really expensive even by Singapore standards (right?), much less Bangkok's! But I really love cherries and these looked so big and nice!

Day 4
Went to MBK first, which was soooo boring. I had heard that there was nothing and true enough, there wasn't. Walked around and wound up at the foodcourt upstairs.

Photobucket
Foodcourts in Bangkok function using a coupon system. You pay for eg. 300 baht of coupons and then use these coupons to pay the stalls. Any leftover coupons can be refunded that day itself. Rather troublesome but I suppose it's to deter cheating/overcharging by stalls. Although in theory they could still overcharge you and just get refunds on the gained coupons...

Photobucket
Tuk tuk!

Photobucket





Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Following recommendations, we took a taxi to Union Mall. It was a little far out (near Chatuchak) but obviously it didn't really matter since taxis are so cheap anyway! Anyway, Union Mall is OMG AWESOME. Think not many people know about it because we hadn't heard about it previously, but it was even better than Platinum Mall! Bought the most stuff there!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hahaha LAN shop beside Union Mall. They're still on L4D please, L4D2 is way more fun!

Photobucket
Bought a hat haha random.

Photobucket
Got a manicure! I would honestly say it wasn't very well done, because the manicurist didn't remove my cuticles, didn't put a base coat and applied the top coat really badly (up close the parts she missed are incredibly obvious). But hey! It was only 250 baht!
Anyway I had picked this lace design originally (painted lace, not stuck on) but they said my nails were too short ): so I chanced upon this cloud design instead and I think it turned out really cute!

Photobucket
Clouds!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
And also got this gayass Hello Kitty Blackberry cover hahaha. I'm not like a die-hard fan lah and I wouldn't say I'm the omg-so-kawaii-fake eyelashes-nail extensions kinda girl, but it was only 150 baht and I would never be able to find it in Singapore.

Suan Lum Night Market AGAIN:
Photobucket
Alaric was taking photos of the shop because of the fake grass floor. Would have looked way better if my eyes weren't closed -_- and if Alaric were a better photographer.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Omg so cute! Looks exactly like the Shibuya Puppy in Farmville! It's so FLUFFY (haha like Agnes in Despicable Me -below-) and FURRY and WHITE!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
So cute! It's like petting snow.

Photobucket
Really pretty frames.

Photobucket
Super sweet coconut!

Anyway caught Inception at the Bangkok cinema (we went to Siam Paragon). It was only slightly cheaper than Singapore, but the seats were wayyyy nicer! Like very big and roomy and they can even tilt back a bit.

Day 5
Our flight back to Singapore was at night (8.30pm Bangkok time) so we had enough time to try the Thai Massage! We went to Health Land, which is pretty famous. The service and decor was very good and it was only 450 baht for 2 hours! (S$10/hr)
Totally fell asleep during the massage, they focus a lot more on helping you stretch and crack joints instead of like kneading your muscles and etc (which can be pretty painful).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Didn't make an appointment, we could just walk in and ask for one because the building is really pretty big and they have tons of rooms.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Poolside before leaving for the airport:
Photobucket

Photobucket
Teehee. Okay -_-
Oh yeah btw my ribbon is from the straw fedora I had bought the day before at Union Mall.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Don't know what I was doing. Something like Choo Choo Choo Train in the water.

Photobucket
Alaric trying to teach me how to swim.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Last sunset in Bangkok! (I noticed you have to use Slow Synchro Flash to get this in digicams. So... just saying.)

Photobucket
Random stuff I bought. 24 rainbow hangers, strawberry bedroom slippers, nail polish and a Hello Kitty mug!

Photobucket
And just some of the rings I got! (My total ring count now is over 50 already :S might sell some off).

My last few days have been spent avoiding some people, stalking other people and all round doing nothing but stare at stupid little builders and soldiers and what not scurrying about a make-believe terrain. Yesterday Alaric left the room and a Starcraft2 game started while he was gone (4v4). He came back and I said "You're playing against 2 Protoss, one Terran and one Zerg." (Y) to me.

I also went for my French placement test at NUS. I want to take a French module and having prior knowledge (6 long years at MOELC) means I obviously can't be put in Level 1 (I wish).
It was very hard to screw up on purpose (so that I can get an easier module). You'd think it would be easy, but heck no. It's pretty obvious when you know your stuff but are just picking wrong answers on purpose (like how I can't tell which are the harder questions I "shouldn't" be able to answer if I were "lousier at French") and when you are genuinely a n00b.

Anyway the essay question was Explain what you did in May 2010 in 120 words. I only wrote 54 words. Not because I forgot all my French (eh hello I got A for H2 French please and we have to write argumentative essays on stupid things like the government) but because... I didn't do anything in May 2010. I wrote that I met my friends and I went to town and I watched a lot of movies. And that after that I planned for July 2010. My life is damn egg-citez.

Bye!

[/edit] I forgot to mention that on the flight back (still Tiger Airways), I was sitting peacefully in my seat (not like I can be sitting violently either but whatever) when this #%@&$# COCKROACH crawled across the table in front of me. I HATE COCKROACHES. 

Alaric killed it with the stupid Safety Information leaflet shit, but anyway that stupid thing was a teenager cockroach meaning there must be whole freaking family living in the seat in front of me and this adolescent was crawling across the table to visit his aunt on the other side or something ):<
FML first time I've ever seen a cockroach on a plane! (not snakes). [/edit]
8 comments on "Bangkok Part 2"
  1. Hi Sophie,

    I am going bangkok soon. What does Union Mall sells? Does is sell similar stuff as Platinum mall? How is the price like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi sophie what hotel did you guys stay in?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:05 PM

    hey how was the french ap test like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    where will be the best place to shop at Bangkok? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bel: Yeah the stuff is like Platinum Mall/Far East Plaza, I think they have quite nice things and quite wearable! Stuff is about 100-300 baht.

    Dawn: Citadines Bangkok (: S$35/night

    Anonymous: It's MCQ but with increasing difficulty. And there's one essay.

    S: Union Mall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:49 AM

    In two photos we see some eyes...

    Wet Alaric >>> Wet Sarah

    & again

    Wet Sarah >>> Wet Alaric

    Sarah's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:08 PM

    I would like to exchange links with your site sophiewillocq.blogspot.com
    Is this possible?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:36 PM

    psps, i always misspelled your surname .

    ReplyDelete