Top Social

Paris Day 1 & 2

Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Paris Day 1 which was Dress-Down Day again, and Paris Day 2 which saw me almost getting pickpocketed at Disneyland Paris (but due to my keenly honed instincts and quick wits... I'm kidding. I was just lucky they were unlucky).
Photobucket

Reached Paris after a fairly short train ride from Brussels. It was a Sunday, so when we reached everything was so dead and quiet! Not a single shop was open on the road where our hotel was, and the concierge told us that on Sunday only Champs Elysees is open.


Photobucket
Haha Sir & Mdm Leow... By the way in Europe they kept having problems figuring out which is the surname. Although I don't see how Carmen looks like a plausible surname... Like "Hi I'm Leow. Leow Carmen." ??? much.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
All train days are dressed-down days haha.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Massive Louis Vuitton store on Champs Elysees! You have to queue to go in. I sat inside for 3 hours while Carmen and Eunice went mad buying stuff haha. TONS of Chinese tourists going crazy happy buying LV things. It really is cheaper in France.

Photobucket
Arc du Triomphe and the massive black hole of a roundabout it is. You drive in, fight your way through and get spat out. It's seriously do or die there.

Day 2
Disneyland Paris! The gates open at 10.30am, we reached at 10 haha. It was so incredibly crowded already with people waiting!

Photobucket

By the way, I caught a girl with her hand in my bag. I was using a bucket bag, not the safest of most bags I know, but I hate opening and closing things. And also umm I have 3 bucket bags with me on this trip.

Anyway, I fell movement in my bag. Automatically thinking it must be Carmen or Eunice, I turned around and was stunned to see two teenage girls (by extension I am no longer a teenager), one with her hand around my Marc Jacobs makeup pouch. Tons of thoughts fired through my mind, like:
Huh?
Huh?
Huh?
Haha loser that's just a makeup pouch.
HENG it's just the makeup pouch.
Is anything else gone?
Where's Carmen?
This isn't Carmen right?
Huh?
Huh?
But the overriding one (besides Huh?) was HEY BITCH THAT'S MINE.

I snatched it out of her hand and was then confused about the next mode of action. Actually my next impulse was to slap her. Especially because she looked damn angry. Like as if I had foiled her right to pickpocket me. But I was still flabbergasted (Did I just almost get pickpocketed?!) so I just stared at her hahaha. She and her friend then quickly ran off while I started rooting through my bag to see if anything else was missing. Luckily nothing was.

I remember they were both fairly young, like maybe 15 years old. They were dark-skinned with curly hair, so to me they looked Latino/Hispanic. Guess I'm just lucky they hadn't perfected their pickpocketing techniques yet.

Photobucket
Boy on the right spoiling my moment.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
We went on this ride, which was not bad! I took this photo because somehow for this unlucky batch of people, they were STUCK THERE. Something went wrong with the ride and they were stuck under the hot sun for a little while.

By the way I went for 2 rides by myself -_- Carmen and Eunice would queue halfway then get bored/realise the ride has upside-down parts and leave the queue. Wusses!
I'm totally fine with going upside-down, I honestly feel there isn't much of a difference. I remember one INDOOR rollercoaster in South Korea, that one was damn awesome because you were swooping down just above the heads of people shopping or having tea! Huge adrenaline rush because it feels so near! (And you're upside-down)

Oh but I don't really like those "death drop" rides. You know the ones where they lift you up high and then drop you suddenly? And you get that huge icky heart-coming-out feeling? Yeah.

Photobucket
Haunted House ride! Huge snooze. The only thing that was cool was that once you step into the center of the room, it goes dark and you're lowered underground. Like basically you just see the ceiling getting further and further away.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I had a Cinderella costume when I went to Disneyland Florida for my 7th birthday!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Mad Hatter's Teacups!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Was queueing for another ride (alone) when we were notified that there were technical difficulties and were advised not to wait. I waited, and it started up pretty soon and it was TOTALLY WORTH IT. Mega exciting!

But anyway my point is that while I was there that day, TWO rides had technical difficulties. This is already assuming there weren't others which I didn't see. That's really pretty bad for an amusement park?!
Also, we queued between 30minutes to an hour for each ride. It's really very crowded because holidays just started in Europe. There are also only about 3 thrilling rides, the rest are your typical kiddy kinds which were a total waste of queuing efforts.

So overall, Disneyland is only good for that magic of Disney I guess. It's a bit lost on me because I went to Disneyland Hong Kong last year, which rides wise was even less exciting than the Paris one. I loved it there though because it feels so nice to look at pretty things and be a kid again. Guess this Paris visit was too soon. Or maybe I've become wiser and more mature ^^
6 comments on "Paris Day 1 & 2"
  1. Anonymous4:31 PM

    HI SOPHIE. you look really nice in the 4th picture! with your fringe up! serious! :D You should do it more often and not feel conscious about it (like you said you do)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:32 PM

    and i like your cream/beige blouse in that picture! :D where did you get it from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl L8:33 PM

    omg my uncle got pickpocketed in paris at the metro. but they were old guys like 25ish and were quite skilled! took like 1000?! I used to think paris isnt safe but now, im even more convinced!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:39 PM

    I think they might have been Gypsies, not Latinos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous: Haha thanks, maybe I'll try fringe up more often haha. And the top is from F21!

    Cheryl: Haha Paris is fine lah, we walked an hour back to our hotel at 1am and it was totally okay, like there were still people about. But as it is wherever you are, you should always be vigilant? Especially in crowded areas like the metro/Disneyland. I don't particularly think Paris can be considered an unsafe city, as with most other developed cities?

    Anonymous: I'd heard about gypsies and etc but I was trying not to stereotype... I pretty sure they were Hispanic though. Oh well. I mean blonde blue-eyed French boys can pickpocket you tooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:48 PM

    Yes, these young teenage girl pickpockets are very common, especially on the Paris metro. They once featured on an enquête (investigative documentary). They are mostly Eastern European girls, like Romanians, who have dark looks, but are not Hispanic. In the documentary, the reporter mentions that it's difficult to catch and punish these girls because of the age, and they lie about their particulars. Most of the time they get released again to the streets.

    Tu parles français, Sophie? C'est l'Arc DE Triomphe, ma fille, pas DU.

    ReplyDelete