Top Social

ZoukOut 2010

Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Gah I suddenly seem to have so many backdated posts to do :( Blogging can be really quite time-consuming! Anyway, I can't believe Christmas is THIS SATURDAY. Every year it just seems to get less and less exciting :(

I know the blog title says ZoukOut 2010, but first a couple of photos from when I was at SMU! My friend is in the committee organising the Business School pageant/bash, and she asked me if I could come and give catwalk training to the contestants :x

Photobucket

Alaric came with me (obviously also where all the photos come from). He found it really funny how SMU had to do "outsourcing to NUS".

Photobucket

Photobucket
I brought masking tape to paste on the floor as a guide! For girls you're basically supposed to criss-cross over the line, while guys should just walk straight with one foot on each side of the line.

Photobucket
The committee hadn't come up with the sequences for the catwalks yet so I choreographed them on the spot ^^

Photobucket
At this point we were trying to settle a rotation-based catwalk and the timing/rhythm got a little complicated haha.

Photobucket
And last photo of me. I do this hunching thing whenever I get tired or self-conscious (like closing in on myself). Obviously I felt self-conscious because I'm not a choreographer or anything but I have to get a bunch of strangers to listen to me and believe that I know something about catwalks.

So now on to ZoukOut 2010:
This was my second ZoukOut, with the previous one having been in 2008. When I had last attended in 2008, it was already quite a nightmare getting out of Sentosa but within the party area itself it wasn't very crowded despite there being 20 000 party-goers.

This year there were 30 000 of us and I swear it was a nightmare. It was Alaric's first time going and it was just so crazily crowded and badly managed (especially badly managed, because crowds are one thing, but organisation was another).

Photobucket

Photobucket
This year at least they had two ways of walking into ZoukOut- either from Beach Station, or from Underwater World. The Underwater World route was A LOT shorter so that was a relief.

We had taken a cab in around 9pm (I got both our tickets free so that meant we had to get in by 9pm) and it took us maybe 10mins to get from Sentosa Gateway into ZoukOut itself. For people that came around 1 or 2am however, I heard they were stuck in the jam for close to an hour!

Photobucket
Quite like the lanyard they gave us this time. The theme for this year was Love the Kaleidoscope of Lights I think, so they gave out kaleidoscopes to people! Got one later, I just realised I have no idea where it is now. I know I made a conscious effort to bring it home but can't remember if I did.

Photobucket
The massive Singtel tent! SO IRONIC BECAUSE CONNECTIONS SUCKED.

All of us couldn't make calls or send SMSes/BBMs or access any data services. What a nightmare! If you got split from your friends it's virtually impossible to find them again, save for the few miraculous occasions on which you'd receive the lone SMS.

Photobucket

Photobucket
With Diana and Sarah. As an ex-Zouk door bitch, Diana was working that night helping to see to the needs of the DJs. Super random but she'd have to go buy Havaianas for one that suddenly got sick of his sneakers (and carry those around) or buy food or whatever haha.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I don't even remember who this DJ was. It wasn't particularly crowded at this point. I actually kept my cardigan on the whole time while in the "dancefloor" area because it keeps all the sweat from all these other retards away from me (and my cardigan is so full of holes it isn't even hot). Ugh!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Giant balls bouncing around!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Teresa, Sarah and Darrell. Sarah has a ZoukOut handkerchief tied around her knee because she fainted again (unrelated to ZoukOut; she has these weird fainting spells sometimes) and hit her knee.

Photobucket

Photobucket
There were lots of these girls walking around on stilts and stuff. I figured they must have been groped quite a bit...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Green glostick.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Putting the green glostick at the end of the kaleidoscope!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Fireworks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
The two headlining acts for this year's ZoukOut were Tiesto and David Guetta. We went for Tiesto's set (there are multiple stages with concurrent DJs spinning different things) and the CROWD WAS SO BAD. I spent 80% of my time/effort just pushing people away from me.
I wish David Guetta had come on before Tiesto!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Stayed for David Guetta's set after Tiesto, but we decided to go further away from the stage where at least it's breathable and people don't shove you every 5 seconds. I really don't even care about being near the stage because it's not like you can't hear the music anyway if you're further -_- besides, when you're so near you can barely move it's so stupiddddddd.

Oh but when we were walking towards David Guetta's stage this French woman very excitedly said to us: "Yes, yes! Go watch David!"I guess it's just cause David Guetta is French haha.

Anyway Zouk seriously needs to do something about the growing crowds. Every year THOUSANDS more people attend ZoukOut, but ZoukOut itself doesn't really expand. Like, maybe make each stage bigger and put plasma screens at the side so people don't mind spreading out a little?

And the organisation for transport out is SO BAD. If you drove (Chloe and Shaun did so we all split into two groups), they make you park over at Sentosa Cove so you need to take a shuttle there. There are no signs for which shuttle goes where or where the queue starts or anything! People end up queuing for wrong shuttles or don't know there are any etc.

Photobucket
Left Zoukout slightly before 6am and only made it to Sentosa Cove at 7+... lots of peacocks walking around. I chased after this one!

And two random photos from Facebook:
Photobucket

Photobucket
^.^
Anyway it's not the number of people that make ZoukOut unpleasant... it's the PEOPLE themselves who make ZoukOut so horrid now. The best option is probably really getting a hotel room somewhere within walking distance of ZoukOut. And possibly just standing at the balcony hahaha.

P.S. I get really annoyed when people keep trashing clubbers/ZoukOut/etc. I mean just because you don't like clubbing/crowds/etc, it doesn't mean that everyone who goes is lame, attention-seeking, wild, blah blah blah... You don't like it, fine. DON'T GO. Why do you need to spend your time justifying how much "cooler" you are because you don't go for these kinds of things?

A lot of people go because it's just a social setting where you can hear music and dance and have fun. Very simply, I like dancing? Crowds and idiots are an annoying by-product that you can't do anything about. Just because I don't like fishing doesn't mean all fishers are lame right?

Photobucket

Photobucket
These high-waist denim jeans were sent to me by Twist Polka! They have lots of nice items so do check them out (:
Anyway, these jeans are really comfy and cute but they're a bit too short for me (they end above my ankle) (I'm 172cm) so I shall do a very simple giveaway!


Measurements:
12" across (at waist), 15" across (at hips)
38" down, 27" rise (length up to crotch area)
- material is the stretchy kind so it's stretchable to a certain extent
I will mail it out (normal postage) to the FIRST girl who joins their mailing list by leaving a comment. Comments are screened so it should only be visible to you and to them.

Please take a screenshot of the comment with your email in it, and email me (sophiewillocq@gmail.com) with the same email as in the screenshot. I'm sorry if you're not the first girl I have nothing to give you but I can send you an E-Card hahahaha.
7 comments on "ZoukOut 2010"
  1. it's time for you to take over the helm from Denise Keller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw that's a penhen my dear. not peacock. collectively they are called peafowl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw has it occurred to u that the girl is just a pork chop? as such nobody wants to touch her? and whoever takes upskirt pics of her wld be cursed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look gorgeous in that white and blue thing

    ReplyDelete
  5. no offence to those readers who went for zoukout, but imo people go to such events to be seen partying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:42 PM

    hihi, where did you get your corset top from? It's lovely! (:
    and i'm totally with you on the whole clubbing thing.

    ReplyDelete