Top Social

Vintage

Thursday, December 02, 2010
Yesterday I happened to be in the SMU area, so I decided to drop by a thrift store that's nearby. I always get asked about where thrift stores are located (although if you Googled it you would get a compiled list with all the thrift stores' address as well as opening hours) so I decided to take photos.

Anyway this thrift store is called New 2 U, located inside the Singapore Council of Women's Organisations at 96 Waterloo Street (near the Singapore Art Museum). You have to walk fairly far down Waterloo Street if you're coming from SMU side.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This thrift store sells clothes, shoes, bags, books and random knick-knacks. It used to have way better stuff that looked really vintage, but now it's kinda just like... stuff you can still find in your mom's closet (ugly), which even your mom doesn't wear anymore.

It's still cheap though, prices range from $2 to $20 for really special items, and on some days they have promotions. Like every Tuesday is Half-Price Day for students I think? I mean geez $1 items haha. Most of the time I kinda feel like I'd just buy something because it's cheap and for charity, rather than because I really want it.

Photobucket
This time I got a bustier dress for $12 and a knitted crop top for $4 (Mango leh hahaha).

Photobucket
These are some of the vintage bags I have! And by vintage I mean like really from thrift stores, not I-paid-$80-for-a-vintage-bag-in-some-ridiculously-overpriced-shop. The bags here range from $3 to $20? And I only paid $20 for the black bag at the bottom right corner which is like one of my favouritest bags ever!
P.S. The beige bag on the bottom left is Lanvin lor hahaha.
P.P.S. Ok bag on the top left is my mom's lah but old means old.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
If you were following me on Twitter you'd have seen some of my rants about tailing this girl at F21 over a hat haha.
3.44pm: Omg feeling like a retard secretly tailing a girl in F21 because she's holding a hat I want.
3.46pm: Gah she's holding both a brown and black one. Buy the brown one and leave me the black! Watching her trying to decide -_-
3.52pm: Omg she's using her phone to take a picture first. Bloody hell hurry up lah it's just a hat! Not choosing house right?!

SHE PICKED THE BROWN HAT WOOHOO (because she has bad taste hohohoho). Actually after I FINALLY got my hands on it (had to wait for her to leave the shop before pouncing on it because it was rather obvious I was tailing her) and tried it on, I didn't like it THAT much.
But it was $25 which I thought was alright, and I had waited so long for it!

Photobucket
Headed to Nails Bar after that at Far East Plaza for a complimentary pedicure courtesy of Tip-It! Tip-It is a website that features coupons for discounts at shops/restaurants/spas/etc! More on it later.

Photobucket
Anyway it was my first time going for a pedicure. Actually I'm really icky about people touching my feet. I hate people touching my feet, and I hate people touching their own feet. I mean I just find it so gross!

Haha on the left is a random boyfriend waiting for his girlfriend (some girl beside) me. That poor dude is going to be there for a LONG time for sure. By the end of my entire pedicure, the girl beside me only had gotten her nails cut and hands massaged -_- And she was picking some complicated nail art for her graduation or something.

Photobucket

Photobucket
My toenails in furry strawberry slippers from Bangkok!

Photobucket
I think this is the colour it's supposed to be? (O.P.I's The Show Must Go On from the 2010 Burlesque collection). The pedicurist just said it's from the Christmas release but I didn't pay attention to the name.

Originally I had picked a beige-gold colour but it couldn't really be seen ): This colour I settled for was supposed to be more glittery, but after the topcoat it kinda looks metallic. Oh well.

Photobucket
Hahahaha look at the right side of my Havaianas- do you notice the letters look a little dirty/brown? Well you know how Havaianas has those special flip-flops where just the letters are gold or silver plated? And cost a ridiculous $60/$80 or something?!

Anyway I bought a gold marker from the bookstore for $2.50 and coloured the letters myself hahahahaha. It actually looked fine, but the colour doesn't stay! A crazy amount of dust gets stuck to the marker ink... so fail haha.

Photobucket

Click the above image to visit Tip-It! (or since I just put the link right here you can click that too...) Basically the website features a Deal, and if you're interested in it, purchase it!

1. Purchase the Deal.
2. If enough people purchase it as well (so spread the word!), the deal gets "tipped" and hence available!
3. Coupon will be mailed to you.
4. If the Deal does NOT get tipped, don't worry you get a full refund!

So for the example in the image, you purchase the Deal at $28, and because 6 people already bought it as well, the Deal is on!

Tip-It features a whole range of services, going from restaurants, bars, clubs, spas, salons and even lessons! Join their Mailing List to receive updates about what's the latest Deal they have available, so that you can go purchase it if you're interested in it!

P.P.P.S. No comments about my toes kplsthnx. Not everyone has Sally-Hansen-ad toes/fingers ok.
11 comments on "Vintage"
  1. Anonymous8:45 PM

    The brown hat for that design looks better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:52 PM

    the bustier dress looks like its from bonito! what a cheap deal! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:14 AM

    sophie, your nail polish looks lovely!


    also, noob question- is everything in a thrift store secondhand? :s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:28 AM

    your toes are fine la.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha..your toes look rather ah lian with that color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wld kiss you between your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:24 AM

    Hi, where did you get the Lanvin bag anyway? Always looking for quality items in thift stores but have to be really lucky to find any! thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. you seriously should eat until 53kg

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahahahaa those havi's with gold words are so ex???? i got those as a gift from my ex and THEY BROKE while i was crossing the road a few days ago. cheapo...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I know how my stuff got disappeared. That unique brown bag was from Egypt. It is of leather and suede, and has a wide opening for it's size. It is as old as you are. I want it back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous: Haha yeah I snatched the dress up!

    Anonymous: Haha well by default, everything in a thrift store is donated, and most of it is old and the condition may be just passable.

    Anonymous: I don't remember exactly which thrift store, but it should be either the Waterloo one or Serangoon Salvation Army (near SAJC). Most aren't in the greatest of conditions I guess :/ The Serangoon Salvation Army is pretty large, go see!

    Potty: I never had any Havaianas break at all! Yeah they're ridiculously a lot more ex than the normal ones, just cause of the gold/silver letters! Retarded lor!

    Mom: You always borrow my stuff lor!

    Oppa Will: You know your stupid gross comments aren't even shocking or surprising. They don't elicit any kind of response other than an eye-roll. Deleting them just because you annoy me, and I hate your guts, and you are vile and disgusting, and because I can. Goodbye.

    ReplyDelete