Top Social

Birthday Dinners

Sunday, August 21, 2011
The final continuation of my 21st birthday! :D

The day after Velvet my mom organised a family dinner. We figured a catered buffet would be easier, and did it at my uncle's printing shop. My mom's logic was that the food table could be put in the corridor so we don't need to worry about all my nieces and nephews dropping food everywhere on the floor lol.

Photobucket
Haha my mom forgot to get a cake so we went out to buy one that day, and the cake shop near our place absolutely refused to do ANY form of decoration on it unless it's ordered 3 days in advance -_- Like "Happy Birthday" also refuse to write. Sheesh.

Photobucket
Some of my cousins (all the older ahem.. adults) and my nieces/nephews (the small kids)!
My mom is the youngest of 7 children and she married quite late, so the gap between my cousins and I is massive haha. I have nephews and nieces OLDER than me lol.

Photobucket
With my mom!

Photobucket
(I'm always camera-ready)

Photobucket

So on the day of my birthday itself... (25th July, Monday)

It began quite mundane-ly really. I got up early to collect my French passport since the embassy seems to cease all operations after lunch hahaha.

Met Qiuting for lunch, went home and... rotted? Fell asleep? Can't even remember. Sadly turning 21 isn't as phenomenal as it's made out to be.

Alaric brought me out for dinner at night at Spruce, which I had been wanting to try! Spruce is located somewhere in between Tanglin Road and Alexandra Road.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hehe he got me flowers! :D

Photobucket

Photobucket
Wine "cellar" on the left; all art pieces/photographs on the wall are also available for purchase.

Photobucket
Note the olives for snacking. Seriously, who even eats olives? I only know like a single person alive who would ingest an olive (my dad) and even so he would stop after eating 2.
Haha do any of y'all eat olives???

Photobucket
This is what I wanted to try! Tomato/pumpkin soup (I can't remember). Yummy!

Photobucket
Alaric's steak. Think it was not too bad but not as good as my...

Photobucket
Duck meat pasta! I know it looks quite gross here... But it's really good! Anyone going to Spruce should try it!

Photobucket
Haha the floor was slanted, so 6 out 7 shots looked weird. This was the most passable.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Close-up of the bouquet.

So that was it! Feels sordidly uninteresting to turn 21. When you were younger being 21 was like, becoming THE adult. Always imagined 21 year olds to be mature and smart and well-traveled (or about to)... like they could take on the world hahaha.

It's like how now I still imagine working women to be in a whole, inexplicable dimension of their own with bosses, 9 to 5s, monthly pays, strict A-line skirts and blazers... but in reality that's where I'm going to be in 2 years (assuming I get a job) (optimism) :o unfathomable.

I'm so scared to grow up! After school we enter 4 decades of a daily grind in out in out to put food on the table and money in the bank; whatever's left after paying off the monthly debt repayments...

Being young is when you have the most fun no? Where everything is new. Where you have the most to look forward to because you keep thinking that with each stage you attain (13, 16, 18, 21) it'll open a whole new world of adventures.

But you get to the end and you're like :o Omg. I'm at the end. What did I do with the last few years? Was this what I thought it would be like when I was 7 years old playing grown-up with my Barbie dolls? Back then, being 21 was a mysterious, untouchable world; just like how the working world is for me now.

So this shall be my second year of being 20 years old. Kthanx goodbai.
10 comments on "Birthday Dinners"
  1. Anonymous12:37 AM

    You and your mom look sooo gorgeous! The pretty gene definitely runs in the family :) and o my...nephews and nieces older than you? SO COOL aha.

    I eattt olivesss!!! only black ones though since i hate the green ones. That bouquet your boyfriend is sooo pretty! You guy are so cute :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. u r so lucky to have so many birthday celebrations! lol! hey!! I know how you feel! I have 2 nieces who are 2 years older than me.. but they dont call me aunty though.. just jovis.. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. eh your mum hot stuff all. upload the photo of us that night at velvet pliss i really liked it. and i owe you your 21st dinner you bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:24 PM

    where's your floral dress from? so pretty !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:01 PM

    Hi,i love your clutch. How much did it cost? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sophie,

    Your mom has great sense of style!

    You both shld join a contest on mom-daughter related. Heh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:01 PM

    yes, i have a friend who can eat an entire bottle of olives in one sitting! Weird, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arrow: Haha thanks! Got it from my mama lol.

    Jovis: Lol sometimes they call me Aunty for fun!

    Hazie: Ok Lawry's kthnx

    Anonymous: Got it from Bangkok! :/

    Anonymous: Hi dear, I'm sorry but I'm not sure how much TheBlogshop sells it for! Should be usual blogshop price? Like $20+ I suppose haha.

    Mich: Lololol I don't think anything like that exists!

    Anonymous: A BOTTLE?! Haha yux.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:07 PM

    Hi Sophie!

    Can I know how tall is ur bf? cause u can still wear ur heels when u r with him! *envy* I'm 170cm, n my bf is ard e same height as me n forbids me to wear heels when we r out :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous: He's 1.8m! I'm 1.72/1.73 so if I wear 4 or 5 inches then I'll be his height or slightly taller maybe? Alaric doesn't mind if I'm taller than him; he likes me in heels.
    Maybe you can come to a compromise with your boyfriend? Like not too high, or only on some occasions? And in pictures make an effort to "hunch" a little.

    ReplyDelete