Top Social

Qingming

Tuesday, May 03, 2011
Went for Qingming on Sunday, which was the last day to go (after which the Gates of Hell close)! My grandfather's ashes are at Mount Vernon and it's usually pretty crowded during the Qingming period but it was drizzling this Sunday.

From Wiki, for those who may not be familiar with Qingming:
"The Qingming Festival is an opportunity for celebrants to remember and honour their ancestors at grave sites. Young and old pray before the ancestors, sweep the tombs and offer food, tea, wine, chopsticks, joss paper accessories, and/or libations to the ancestors."

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
The place isn't well maintained anymore because they want to evict "everyone" and move them into high-rise urns. It's always quite amusing how they're organised like HDBs haha.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Paper money, paper clothes, paper clothes, wine, food etc!

Photobucket
High-rise urns in the background!

Photobucket
Someone on my Formspring asked to see my sandals up close. No comments on my feet/toes/toenails thnx.

Photobucket
Never met my grandfather before because he died before I was born, but said hi anyway!

Photobucket

Photobucket
My mom and one of my newer nieces (my family is quite large)!

Ate at Pepperoni's at Greenwood Avenue the other day, and we saw this fat/chubby cat strolling through. It was clearly a regular, because it knew to come around 10+pm and which restaurants to wait outside of (staff fed it some leftovers).
Photobucket
Fat cat probably feasting on sushi and what not! I plucked off (sacrificed) a piece of ham from my pizza and offered it to the cat but it ignored me. So I put it on its head hahaha.

Quite amusing. It sat there for ages staring around with the piece of ham on its head, which obviously eventually dropped off. And it ate it anyway. It was quite friendly; I pet it after that. Typing this I just realised I pet it on its head right where I had put the ham lol.
14 comments on "Qingming"
  1. Anonymous2:04 PM

    where's your hat from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous: F21! 313@Somerset outlet to be exact

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:48 AM

    nice makeup! not just eyeliner this time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha! that's just cute! I was looking at the cat's head wondering what that thing is! I scrolled down and saw your comment and couldn't stop laughing! lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:36 PM

    you are christian yet you conduct ancestor worship? wont u go to hell for this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:37 AM

    how bout your top? looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous: No leh only wearing eyeliner! (and blusher + foundation) Eyeliner always makes the MOST difference seriously.

    Belle: Haha I thought it was cute too!

    Anonymous: It's different to pay respects, and to actively pray TO them. It's like say your father/mother passed away and you go to their grave to just talk to them, asking for guidance, that they watch out for you etc. I don't think God would punish you for that, because it's your family. It's not like praying to a deity/statue and asking for material favours in exchange for dutifulness.

    Anonymous: It was a present, think Clothesnpeople sold it ages ago! It's a little sheer, a little crop-ish as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:55 PM

    I've seen that cat! It's a resident cat, always hanging around there. I see it's grown much fatter from the last time I was there! hahah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:31 AM

    It's disappointing to see you on Strait Times today. Not reading your blog anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:12 PM

    then whats with the hell money and offerings, part of a ritual no? I remember that you burned joss sticks also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. didn't know it's legal to wear like that for qing ming. Nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6:33 AM

    the cat doesn't look that fat leh.. maybe next time you can stretch out its body before taking a photo of it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous2:42 PM

    hey where did you get your sandals? (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha! So I am not alone, I put tiny pieces of food on a cat's head if they ignored me too and it'll fall off after sometime and the cat will eat it!

    ReplyDelete