Top Social

Act Yi Ge

Sunday, October 23, 2011
Anti-AVA culling petition
Let's Adopt Global Vote -> you can vote once every day!

I have 4500 blog readers. Yet only 700 of you bothered to sign the petition, and that's already assuming they all 100% come from my blog. I mean seriously, what does it cost you?! This isn't some contest I'm taking part in where I benefit and you can't stand to see that.

You can bother to join blogshop newsletters, stalk people for hours on Facebook/blogs, send rude and demanding emails to blogshops chasing for your item, leave anonymous hate comments on various platforms, leave me one liner Formspring questions to which you expect me to reply with some kind of comprehensive write-up... I write a long blog post and you can't even be bothered to take 30 seconds of your time to try and help.

...

Well on to other stuff,

Ok below are a succession of thick-skinned camwhore photos... I was meant to meet Wendy and Qiuting to view these bunnies that Wendy wanted to use in her shoot for her new blogskin (see below).

The bunnies are from a home breeder (if you die die wanna buy a pet, home breeders are usually more ethical than pet shops - who generally get their "merchandise" from animal mills) and I reached early. Wendy and Qiuting were both quite late while the owner wasn't home yet so I sat alone on the curb like a suspicious loser hahaha.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Random picture of the sky because I'm usually not out at this hour much... (even if I'm awake I'm at home sloth-ing it out)

These photos were taken way back in July, even before my birthday. Now that I'm halfway through my semester, I've seen A LOT more sun -_- I have school every day at an early hour FML.

Photobucket
LOLOLOL ACT OR NOT? Hahahaha.
(I'm sorry if you're not local... but I think you can infer the context!)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Random picture of a neighbourhood cat. Sadly it's not a conventional "cute" cat so it's going to pale rather terribly in comparison to these...

BUNNIES!

Photobucket
I love the brown one! It's an adult rabbit, but it's so much lovelier than the babies! I have pictures in my BB of it lying quietly in my lap with its paws cutely perched. So endearing!

If I ever adopted a rabbit I'd like a brown/grey one :)

And here's one of the pictures Wendy took with the bunny above for her blogskin!
Photobucket
You have to say that the picture turned out really good! And the rabbit is so sweet! Maximum ♥

Wendy took the shots in the owner's garden as well! It was just coincidental that she had a picturesque setting so they wouldn't have to worry about transporting the bunnies around.

Photobucket
Dirty orange-y fur because the bunnies all get to play in the garden! See, this is ethical treatment of your animals, even if they're for sale.

The owners are students so they're doing it more as a hobby/interest rather than profit. Generally any breeder that is really profit-oriented... is naturally likely to be unethical towards the animals as well.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hahaha! Cute ruffled fur!

Photobucket
*melt*

Photobucket

Photobucket
^_^ The grey one on the right was quite weak though... so it kept getting bullied by the other bunnies in the competition for mommy's milk!

Photobucket

Photobucket
AWW!

I hope I haven't instigated anyone to run out and buy a bunny now... Please remember that they're only bunnies for 3 months at most, before they attain the size of a full-grown rabbit.

Rabbits live up to 12 years, so you're looking at the same level of commitment as with a dog/cat. I think many people seem to forget this and just view rabbits as some kind of extension of hamsters; just a slightly bigger one, so they're all trigger happy in buying one.

But NO. Dwarf hamsters live 2 years, while rabbits live 12 years. 12 years ok. And even with hamsters there are 500 of them abandoned every year >:(

And please ADOPT:
House Rabbit Society Singapore
SPCA

Actually I feel that rabbits are rather pitiful...
1) They are eaten as normal dishes
2) A lot of cosmetic/drug testing is done on rabbits
3) They have no substantial defence mechanism; no claws/teeth/body strength
4) They cannot cry/shriek. They can make small noises, but nothing like a dog's bark/growl.

Yet they are also commonly abused because it's much harder to detect as compared to dogs or cats.

Many rabbits spend their whole life in a cage (extension of hamsters remember?) despite actually being very social animals (you can toilet train a rabbit).
Furthermore, cages with grilled floors are very, very bad for them but many people fail to realise that it cuts into their paws.

In July 9 rabbits were found abandoned, all in a terrible state & some even with missing ears. How can anyone be so cruel?! - story

Photobucket
Random picture of Wendy, Qiuting and I at the H&M opening! Came across it while going through Wendy's tumblr to find the picture of her with the bunny. Just to end this post on a less sombre note.
17 comments on "Act Yi Ge"
  1. hey babe is the petition website down?
    tried to go into it but can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:49 PM

    i can't access the petition site! tried it yesterday and today and also went to the main site.. is the link dead?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:52 PM

    Omg Sophie you look absolutely beautiful in the pictures of you waiting at the curb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:16 AM

    i have a 1 year old dwarf hotot rabbit and he's actually very much like a dog. we toilet trained him and he chases everybody around. also, every new comer to my house have to pass through his 'feet sniffing'!

    really don't understand how people can be so heartless. pets are to be loved and cared for, not mistreated :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the petition with your readers, Sophie, I can't thank you enough. The petition is down sometimes, probably due to site maintenance.
    This is precisely the reason why I get so stressed up and upset when I try to share my causes and petitions with people. Some people just don't care. You are the kindest blogger I have ever met and I'm so grateful that you use your influence for causes you believe in. I approached other bloggers and popular tweeters who seemed to care for animal welfare but they simply ignored me the moment i tried to share my causes with them.

    Thank you once again and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jasmine3:09 PM

    The bunnies are so cute! Yup I agree that they can be toilet-trained. The ones that I had even responded to their names! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:09 PM

    hello sophie... dun angry... i voted n signed on e petition!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing the petition but I also think there isn't a need to get all passive-aggressive about it. If people want to sign it, they will. Doesn't mean it's cruel, you (and I) believe in it, and the rest of your readers have to as well.

    "Religion is like a penis. It's fine to have one and it's fine to be proud of it, but please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around... and please don't try to shove it down my child's throat."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you're so skinny! In the second photo of you, your bone looks as though it's jutting out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah: Sorry but I strongly disagree. There's a huge difference between trying to convert you to my religion, and simply asking you to help/support my cause.

    Religion is highly subjective while a good cause is a good cause (although of course some nasty people can complain about more strays around).

    While e.g. maid abuse may not necessarily be my pet cause, I do understand that it's important to whoever is championing it and that it DOES aid society (compassion is more important that "right" of fellow citizens over their employees no? They're not slaves).

    And furthermore it costs me nothing, so why should I refuse to help? It's so different from asking me to believe in your religion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the first part of what Sarah said actually. Your readers are not obliged to support what you support or do what you ask them to do, regardless of cost or effort. Of course if they happen to support the causes that you do, or if they are influenced by your blog to help you support your cause then that's all well and good. But there really isn't a need to be all passive aggressive about it and reproach the readers who do not. If they wish to sign it, they will.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn: No one is obliged to support my cause, but because I bothered to do a post on it I have the right to feel DISAPPOINTED at people's reactions in general. And this is my blog, with MY effort put in so I have every right to be "passive-aggressive" about it.

    Like I said, I'm not asking you to support ME. I'm asking you to support an ideal, and my reaction applies to apathetic people in general, not just my readers.

    You tell me you won't be slightly disturbed if you asked someone what they thought about the 16,000 children that die in Africa daily, and they answer that they don't give a shit?

    They have every right to of course, but won't you feel slightly indignant? No one's asking them to donate even $1, but to blatantly say they can't be fucked?

    And like I said, I put effort into it, researching, blogging, emailing shelters, compared to merely asking someone to recognise the problem of famine.

    I'm 100% still disappointed at the attitudes adopted by people here (this blog, Singapore, the region, the continent, whatever) and I have every right to express my dismay and to "goad" my readers into sharing my ideal. That is one purpose of sharing opinions no? Just like how you are trying to convince me of yours?

    At the least you should respect the effort I put in, so I feel I have every right to say I am upset that people did not reciprocate in kind.
    If you signed it, why do you care? Did you really feel "manipulated" by me into it? If that was the case then I'm sorry that you couldn't even be bothered to do so in the first place, and my view on that withstands.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand your general outrage at apathy in general. Human apathy leads to some of the cruelest situations.. (Like the recent Yue Yue case for instance) But your general outrage in this post seemed to be predominantly directed at your readers. Perhaps it wasn't your intention, but that is how the first two paragraphs sound like.

    Yes you definitely have the right to express your disappointment on your blog.. Like I said.. there is really no need to reproach your readers... But if you want to do so then it is your prerogative.

    Though I can't help but think that such a passive aggressive stance might work against you and your call for support because it is very off putting. That was all I was pointing out with my previous comment -- that there may be a better way to go about doing it.

    That said, it is your blog and you have every right to say what you want on it. But it would be a pity if your tone and attitude in that few short sentences undermined all the effort that you put in your previous post.. People who already support the cause will not be affected because they will support the cause with or without you. But the people who are at the borderline are the ones that you are trying to convince and galvanise. So I'm just saying that maybe reproaching them isn't the best way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous3:25 PM

    so glad ure telling pple abt what rabbits need! very responsible of you to do tt i think. thanks for telling pple what these bunnies themselves cant tell pple. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:11 PM

    Hi Sophieeee! Your gym junior here! Anyway I wanted to ask if the place where the bunnies are, do they sell the bunnies? (: Cause I gave my rabbit to a friend who wanted it and Im planning to get another one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous: Thanks :) Hope bunnies start getting more attention!

    Anonymous: Yes they do! :) http://moomoopets.sg/mmp/ The website doesn't show the rabbits but you can call/email to ask!

    ReplyDelete