Top Social

Back then...

Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Happened to reminisce with a friend about our younger days…

"Please lor, talking about dorky."
"Can't beat me using my mom's card to buy Farmville money"


"I had the most awesome farm"
"And during seasons I would redecorate"
"That's why I needed money"
"For a Christmas reindeer sled"


I loved games like that… Farmville, Cityville, Sims… In fact "younger days" refers to me like, 2 years ago. And in fact in fact, I would still love to play those games if I had people to play them with! I was so sad whenever my virtual neighbours lost interest (which they always did) & stopped playing…

I wish I could play these games again but there's always a million & one things to do & I'm afraid that once I start I'll be even less productive than I already am (which judging by my blog updates, is EXTREMELY unproductive). Oh woe thee growing up…

Nowadays blogs all seem to be a competition of seeing who is more "lifestyle" - who travels more, who goes to the best brunch places, who has the nicest clothes, who can recommend the best desserts…

I'm as guilty of that mindless picture-spam (though I suck at that lifestyle thing because it generally involves being awake before 3pm & night-time OOTDs just don't cut it) & maybe that's why I slowly lost interest in blogging… because I feel like I have nothing worthwhile to say anymore? Or maybe I still do, but I just don't know how to anymore, or I forgot how.

I'll read my archives & be like, "Where did that girl go? She used to be so interesting" 
(YES I WAS VAIR INTERESTING END OF DISCUSSION)

Now my reflex is that like… if I blog too many words people will lose interest (like now). Attention spans are getting shorter & shorter. Everything is bite-sized, instant & straight to the chase.

I remember this line I saw - "It's not an adventure if it's not on Instagram"
And it's so true. I look at some couples & I see the ridiculous amount of effort they put into making their relationship look amazing on social media. Who are you trying to prove your love to?
Or how even I myself said earlier on today that I would want my proposal to be done in the company of my friends because somehow recounting the event to them instead just seems less… nice.
It's like… your experience isn't worth anything anymore if other people can't witness it.

Telling a story has become so much less consumable than clicking a "like" on Instagram.

Well I'm rambling. 
Goodnight.

17 comments on "Back then..."
  1. haha i agree! everything is bite-sized now. gone are the days where effort is needed to write/produce a good written blog post. if there is no pictures, its goodbye. haha but i still think you are interesting! addicted to farmville - haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooo. I love reading your blog! -Hanna Lei

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:50 PM

    i definitely would appreciate more introspective posts like this, sophie

    ReplyDelete
  4. me too. I love reading your blog, this post is simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:15 PM

    I am another reader that also appreciate more wordy posts like this instead of the usual ootd/lifestyle blogposts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:20 PM

    i would like to know what people think...that's why i read someone's blogs:)
    Like you did on this post, write your thought! Criticize or comment current topics (farmville, bite-sized sns probs, etc).
    some people want see your lifestyle, but you dont have to care about them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:33 PM

    I would miss reading your posts if you decide to leave & I don't mind huge blocks of text--I'll read it all...in fact, I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:40 PM

    Love reading your blog no matter how brief. In fact, I don't particularly like it when bloggers post nothing else but her selfies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:50 PM

    Me too, I hope you keep blogging, I like your wordy posts, they are intelligent and interesting

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please continue blogging! I really enjoy reading your blog posts and no, you are interesting! Please don't think negatively of yourself. I really like blogger-soph, which is why I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. I would like for you to have a go at answering my questions. Please don't lose interest in blogging. Link is here if you're interested in having a go at it: http://ricanne.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/liebster-blog-award.html
    Thank you~
    Rica Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:12 PM

    I beg to differ actually! When I read blogposts I love to read words. Sometimes my mind shuts off when I see too many photos of the same nature, it's nice to alternate with words...so keep going!:DD I kinda hate the trend it is now with Insta, when something nice happens in real life, people are all about taking that one perfect photo to show off on Insta...I find that my friends don't really appreciate what's in front of them anymore. Just a thought(:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tbh, I actually like reading your "lengthy" posts! So please don't stop! imo, you're one of the few bloggers who has wonderful yet unique sense of humor. More importantly, you're able to put it into words and it's still funny + interesting, most people don't have that kind of flair with words. So please don't stop Sophie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Btw, I always read your posts till the end! Wouldn't wanna miss even a bit of it xD Keep it up Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I miss reading your blog Sophie! I blog too and sometimes I think people won't want to read so much because that's the way our generation is nowadays, instant gratification and all that, but you can't really compare because writing is like sharing your thoughts -- and your readers are your readers because they like hearing from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm still gonna love whatever you post! Hahaha.. it's ok for wordy post. I somehow feel your blog (wordy posts) is more personal these days, which I like! :) *although the number of the posts really begging me for more* pls don't stop blogging ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous9:23 PM

    agree with anonymous. I close blogs with photo spam. not for yours, cause you are like mint tea, refreshing to look at ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous10:09 PM

    Agreed. Consumer attention spans aren't what they used to be. But I think it makes a written / sharing post that much more special.

    ReplyDelete